October, 2012

October, 2012
October 2012

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dreams and Google

I love Google.  Makes me feel powerful.  If I want to know about something, I just Google it.  Don't know the meaning of a word or how to spell something, just Google it.  Kids driving you crazy or husband lost his mind.....google it. This has become quite a habit.  I am not even sure if I can get through a day without googling.  On days when I am googling too much, I call it research so my family doesn't think I am just playing around.  I think they have caught on though.  Last night Brooke came in to the room and said quite seriously that she needed to do some research. I thought, "Yeah right.  Research. She just wants to play."  Turns out she is working on a science project and really needs to do the research.   

So this morning I decided to research dreams.  I have been having the same 2 dreams as far back as I can remember and I am determined to figure out what they mean.  Google would have my answers. I should say though, that I am not a big believer in dream interpretations.  I tend to be fairly data driven kind of person, so I am starting out a skeptic....but with a partially open mind. 

The first dream I have had as far back as I can remember.  This dream always happens when I am sick, especially as a child when I had a lot of ear infections. I am small, I mean this literally, I am tiny like an ant.  I am in a huge room sitting on a chair in the middle of the room.  Walking all around the edges of the room are bugs.  These aren't little bugs.  They are gigantic, 20 feet tall.  They stare at me as they walk along and occasionally one will come over and look at me as if he is deciding to eat me or not.  I want to scream but I can't.  Nothing comes out. 

Knowing that this dream always occurs when I am sick, I pretty much felt it was related to running a fever.  I wondered what google would say.  I googled "Feeling small in dreams and surrounded by big bugs".  I wanted to make sure I included all the important parts.  So what did my search come up with? FAIRY SIGHTINGS by ADULTS. Ok.  Not exactly what I was going for.  I finally found entries that seemed to be written by sane people and learned that this is actually a fairly common dream people have, and occurs mostly when you are sick.  Of course each dream is in a different form, but the essence of it is the same.  When you are sick, you feel small and weak, and in all actuality are being attacked by a "bug".  My friend google did a good job on this one.

On to the next dream.  I have to say when I have this dream, I always wake up with a smile on my face and that feeling that I just want to go back to sleep and finish the entire dream.  I have even tried to do that.  I usually succeed at going back to sleep, but I never fall back into the dream.  I will go ahead and tell those of you with dirty minds....it has nothing to do with sex.  

I am at the beach.  I live in a light blue beach house with black shutters.  The house has a fabulous wrap around porch.  You can't see the beach from the front of the house, but when you walk around to the side, it is there.  Gorgeous.  I can smell the ocean and the water is a perfect blue. The sand comes up to the house.  Feels very peaceful. I bet you are thinking that this is a simple dream.  A lot of people probably have beach dreams right?  Here is what makes this one different.  I have had this dream for years.  It used to be just Ashley and me in the the dream.  Then Jason started showing up in it.  As I had more children, each one would show up in the dream.  In the dream the kids are playing on the beach, but I am in the house.  Apparently it is a gigantic house and it is full of furniture and stuff that previous owners have left behind.  Used to be just me cleaning and sorting the stuff, then eventually Jason was in the dream helping.  Another interesting part of the dream is that I am always finding hidden doors.  They seem to be everywhere and it frustrates me.  When I get frustrated, I go out onto the side porch and watch the children who are building sand castles and I smile.  That is when I wake up.  Every single time. Just once in this dream I would like to walk down the porch steps and feel the warm sand between my toes.  That's why I always try and go back to sleep.  Wonder what google would say to this one.   

This time my "research" really paid off.  I came across a dream dictionary.  You can search the dictionary by keyword and it will give you a variety of possibilities for that word.   

First "beach".  There were several possibilities for this one, but I settled on the one that seemed to fit the best.  
  • To dream that you are on the beach and looking out toward the ocean, indicates unknown and major changes that are occurring in your life. Consider the state of the ocean, whether it is calm, pleasant, forbidding, etc.
House.  There were a lot of possibilities for this one.
  • To dream that you are cleaning your house, signifies your need to clear out your thoughts and get rid of old ways. You are seeking self-improvement.
Housework.  Only one choice and it really made me laugh.  
  • To dream that you are doing housework, suggests that you are making changes in your lifestyle and the way you are living. You are doing away with your old ways and habits and starting anew. Alternatively, the dream may just be a reflection of the monotony of your daily life. Do something adventurous.
You know, Google is smart.  All joking aside, I believe this dream "interpretation" is really accurate for where I am right now in life.  I also believe when I look back, I have always had this dream when my life has had big changes. 

I find being able to have a tool like the internet at my fingertips to be completely fascinating.  This didn't exist when I was growing up.  Now you can learn about anything, anywhere, anytime.  I do wonder sometimes though if we have become too reliant.  Truthfully, I don't need the internet to figure out my dreams, my friend Crystal already told me what they meant and she was more accurate than my research.  She pointed out that my OCD is connected to the cleaning as well as life changes.  Yet I am sure I will continue to be amazed by what I can learn from the internet and in years to come be equally amazed by what my children and grandchildren will be able to do with computer technology. I just hope along the way they also learn to rely on their own brilliant minds to figure things out.   

 

1 comment:

  1. I remember awhile back I had a dream about Josh. I couldn't find him. I asked everyone who knew him, and no one would tell me where he was. I was panicked and heartbroken, that I may never see him again.

    I looked up that dream and don't recall what it was. lol. I think with him about to go off to college and kinda be on his own, it has given me anxiety.

    The bug dream is scary - yikes!!!

    ReplyDelete