October, 2012

October, 2012
October 2012

Friday, February 18, 2011

Seriously....I am not impressed

Today during "My Friday" I got to experience customer service at its best....and at its worst.  I'll begin with the best.


I love Toyota on Nicholasville.  I pulled up in the service line and a very pleasant young man opened my door for me.  "Hello!  How may I help you?"  I explained my purpose and he pulled some paperwork and pointed me in the direction of my service guy's office.  I am already pleased because my paperwork and car tag are ready to go.  I opened the door of the office and my service guy, whom I have only met once said, "Hello Mrs. Craven!"  "I have your paperwork ready and it will only take a moment to have your loaner car pulled up."  Of course they new why I was there since I had already had that discussion early in the week. A discussion in which all of my questions had been skillfully answered, so I stood to the side and let the person behind me approach the desk.  This next man asked the service guy some sort of car related question and the guy answered it in full, easy to understand detail along with several questions that followed.  In fairly short order my loaner car, a Camry like I suspected, was ready and they helped me move some items from the van to the car, shook my hand and I was off.  At that time I wasn't thinking about customer service....that would come later.


On to Barnes and Noble with high hopes that my current Nook problems would be solved.   I had the utmost confidence that they would be because the guy who sold it to me seemed very knowledgeable and was able to answer my questions. I walk in and there is another lady waiting at the "Nook" desk.  She seemed sort of frustrated, but before I had time to think about that a gentleman asked if he could help me.  I will call him guy #1.  I proceeded to explain my wi-fi connectivity issues.  I won't go into it here, but for the past several weeks it just won't connect the way it should.  Here is where it goes downhill.  Guy #1 didn't even know where to look on the Nook to find the wi-fi button.  I showed him, then went on to show him what it does when I try to connect by trying to connect to the Barnes and Noble wi-fi.   Thankfully, my Nook cooperated by doing the same thing it had been doing at home.  Guy #1 didn't say anything, although he seemed to be trying to think of something to say.  

Now as hard as I try to refrain from saying the first thing that pops into my head, that doesn't always work, so I said very softly to him...."You don't know what you are doing do you?"  He said "No.  I sure don't".   In walks guy #2 who I realize right away is there to help the frustrated lady next to me....I notice her now because she quite loudly tells guy #2 that he had better figure out a way to fix this while she is in the store because she had trusted them when she bought it and she wanted it fixed.  Turns out she is having a problem downloading books from the B & N site.  Guy #2 is shaking....I mean that literally, his hands were shaking.  Guy #1 obviously not picking up on the fact that Guy #2 is at his capacity to handle anything, starts telling Guy #2 my problems.  Guy #2 looks up at me, then past me with a bit of a relieved look on his face.  Turns out Guy #3 is headed our way.  Guy #1 by this point is backing away, slowly trying to escape the whole mess.  Guy #2 quickly explains both of our problems to Guy #3, lays both Nooks on the counter and walks away.   I haven't said another word and the lady next to me is showing great restraint also.  Guy #3 doesn't even try to find out more info he just says he will give us both new Nooks.  Really?  


We both left the store with OUR Nooks and an 800 service number to call.  I may end up calling that number, but the first call I make will be to Barnes and Noble customer service. The other lady, well she was already on her phone and judging by some of the words she was using, she was already talking to customer service. 


Consumers really don't ask that much if you think about it.  We aren't complaining needlessly.  I don't know about you, but all I really want is when I spend good money on a product, I want part of the cost to go towards someone being there for me when I have a problem.  They should understand the product. I received some of the best customer service possible at Toyota on Nicholasville.  Yes, I am a smart enough consumer to know that it is all part of the overall Toyota marketing plan and that I am paying for it, but they don't just have a plan.....they execute the plan.  What they do is instill confidence in their product.  I would never question buying another Toyota, or having it serviced at that location.  The jury is still out on Barnes and Noble.  Maybe I should have gotten a Kindle. 

3 comments:

  1. i would have taken the new nook! :) i am going tomorrow. hopefully someone will be there that can properly answer the question. i wish i had done some research before i bought it. although it was so cheap i couldnt pass it up.

    mine magically ended up working last night when i was in tears explaining it to jeremy at 1;30am. i dont know what i did to make it work though! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I don't think it is the employees fault. B & N obviously didn't see a reason to train them. Maybe you will be there on a day with someone who knows all about it!!!! Let me know what you find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Toyota's customer service!!! Our Dry Ridge dealership is awesome too! I looovvveeee them!

    ReplyDelete